We have been receiving reports of users experiencing an error while connecting to the PPTP VPN accounts (which had worked earlier) saying, “A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the network settings for this connection.”
The solution is simple:
- 1: Press the Windows key + X together on your keyboard and select Device Manager from the context menu.
- 2: In the Device Manager window, scroll down and expand Network adapters. Now, right-click on WAN Miniport (PPTP) and select Uninstall device from the menu.
- 3: Repeat the same steps as shown above to Uninstall device for the all the Miniports listed below one by one:
- WAN Miniport (STP)
- WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
- WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
- WAN Miniport (L2TP)
- WAN Miniport (IPv6)
- WAN Miniport (IP)
- WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
- 4: Now, click on the Action tab at the top of the window and select Scan for hardware changes from the context menu.
This will re-install all the WAN Miniports freshly and now your VPN should work back again.